About my page:

Here i will post my poems and stories. I do realise not all of them will be perfect, and I accept that. If you do like something I have writen please let me know :) I hardly ever creatively write about anything that relates to me directly, so please never assume anything about me from what I write. If some things that I write offend you, I am sorry, but I do have freedom of speach ^.^

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Anti BP: Thoughts on a Photo From the 2000s




I remember the horrendous Gulf Coast oil spill. I still despise the company that caused it. I know they did not do it on purpose, but they made awful decisions that led to the tragedy. They did not maintain the plant well, and they should know that getting oil from underwater in and of itself is risky. If oil happens to spill on land it is far easier to clean up. On the other hand, in constantly moving water that spreads the oil out more each minute, there is nothing that can immediately rid the body of water of the oil. The spill of the Gulf Coast caused the death of various kinds of marine life, and if the animals survived, they still got oil into their system. That directly affected and still affects us. Now there is a danger for us to eat certain seafood, because if we eat a fish or shellfish that has ingested all of the toxins from oil, we can become very ill. I cannot accurately describe how much I loathe the entire BP Company. I do not even know all of the specific details of the oil spill, but I do know that it ruined beaches, businesses along the coast, marine life, our lives, and the environment as a whole. I become infuriated when I see their commercials that were filmed on the Gulf Coast shores, when they are trying to make themselves look like the heroes. They are the enemies, and just because they helped fix what they caused does not mean they have learned from their ginormous mistake. I am sure they will become careless again soon and it will happen all over again. Their biggest argument is that they create jobs for Americans. You know what I say to that? If people spent more time trying to research and test out better and safer alternatives for our fuel, that would create even MORE jobs. But oil companies like BP prevent other ideas from going full force and being accepted as alternative fuel sources. They have too much power and I hope that will dramatically change some time in the near future.  

1 comment:

  1. I remember reacting to the "we are helping" commercials afterwards in a similar way--the devastation caused by the BP spill is incomprehensible. I hope we are able to find an alternative in the future.

    ReplyDelete