About my page:

Here i will post my poems and stories. I do realise not all of them will be perfect, and I accept that. If you do like something I have writen please let me know :) I hardly ever creatively write about anything that relates to me directly, so please never assume anything about me from what I write. If some things that I write offend you, I am sorry, but I do have freedom of speach ^.^

Friday, February 6, 2015

My Thoughts Alongside the Thoughts of Maya Angelou


Maya Angelou believes the caged bird sings of freedom. To break free of its cage and be able to fly through the wide open sky, because birds are not happy being entrapped. They are enraged and depressed that all of their life they will just be a source of entertainment for humans, instead of living like a free bird should. I agree with Maya’s thoughts about caged birds completely. I would never want to justify keeping animals that are meant to fly, locked up in a small enclosure. I understand why caged birds like to sing. Sometimes I feel trapped, but not by a physical barrier; only a mental fence that I put around myself with the “help” of others. In one word from my parents, electricity is pumped through the fence and I can hear a faint buzz and hum coming off of it. This electric fence in my mind makes me feel small, worthless, and out of control of my own life. Yet, when I sing, it helps me get the courage to rip the fence down. Singing also helps me realize that I can be in control, I just need to have the right mindset. If at some point in my life I feel as if my heart is void of all happiness, all I have to do is blast my favorite song and sing along with the upbeat music in the background cheering me on. Then, my spirits will be lifted and I will be able to remind myself of all of the good things that I am lucky enough to have in my life.

            For me, talking about bad dreams or events doesn’t give them more power over me. In my experiences, I feel better when I talk about those things. When I do, it allows me to have everything out in the open. Sometimes it even helps me get closure, especially when my friends and family members have good things to tell me in response. Their words reassure me that everything will be alright, even when it feels like the world is crashing down around me. Talking to people about bad things in my life is a much better alternative for me, instead of keeping them inside and trying to suppress my thoughts of them all by myself. When I suppress bad things, they never get resolved. When you just hope something will go away on its own, you are wrong. I always need to face what is bothering me head on or it will never leave my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Your electric fence metaphor is so apt...I can relate to it in many ways. I don't feel insecurity in the same way as I did when I was younger, but I do often question myself, worry about things in the past I can't change, feel unsettled. You are also brave and wise to confront what's troubling you, through talking or singing or otherwise coping, rather than letting it fester. Thanks for this thoughtful response.

    ReplyDelete